Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Man’s Best Friend

A little over two years ago, DeAnn and I had a very special “little friend” enter into our lives and home…His name is Sparky.

As a young boy growing up, my family had many pets that became our family members. My two brothers were into the pets more than I was, but I did enjoy having the dogs, cats, gold fish, and hamsters around. I never really had my own pet as a kid or even as an adult but that changed in early 2009.

A couple years ago I was talking to a friend of mine who had to find a new home for his family’s pet dachshund. The dog was 7 years old at the time and a lot of times, at that age, a new home is hard to find. I was familiar with the dachshund bread as my family had one when I was a child. It was probably the only dog that I really had a true fondness for as a kid.

With that being said, when I thought about this 7 years old dog that needed a new home, I seriously thought about it. I was also afraid of what the alternative could be. After a couple days, I knew I wanted the dog…now all I had to do was to tell DeAnn.

DeAnn and I discussed the issue and we both agreed that having a pet in the house might be challenging at times, but for the dog we needed to do it. Plus she thought it would be good for me. Well, DeAnn was right.

I brought Sparky into our home in February 2009 and he has been with us ever since. Sparky is a great joy and he is a true friend and buddy. I cannot imagine life without this little red “wiener dog” around.

Today Sparky is 9 years old and turning a little gray around his snout and paws, but who isn’t. He travels with us as much as he can and the love and companionship he shows is as genuine as I have ever seen or felt. He is truly part of our family.

Thanks Sparky for bringing the kid in me out again.
Visit Santa from Santa's Village Click Here .