Friday, April 10, 2009

Odd Man Out


I have been involved in many “Santa” parades…matter of fact 30 of them…from televised parades in large cities like Chicago and Houston, to small parades in rural communities and beyond. So it was kind of odd for me when I was not in full regalia for the Holly and Shamrock Parade at Celebrate Santa. I was involved in the parade, but in a different role this time.

I had the wonderful opportunity to be one of the co-hosts for the syndicated broadcast of this event. And I must say that I had the best seat in the house. To be able to watch and comment on such a fantastic parade was more fun than a Santa in a cookie bakery.


Watching from above the parkway, on the balcony of the Midtown Lodge, the view was incredible. To see the nearly 600 participants all dressed in red, white and green proceeding down the winding road towards the TV zone brought a tear to my eye. This was going to be a parade with Santa like no other before.

The police estimated the crowd at nearly 20,000 people. The fathers, mothers, children and families that lined the street were at a Mardi Gras pitch. You could see excitement and feel it in the air. The atmosphere was pure magic!

As the parade progressed below our vantage point, I saw the faces of the hundreds of Santas, Mrs. Claus and elves beam with as much excitement as the spectators that viewed the parade. Somewhere during this event, the reality of the real world was suspended and the fantasy of childhood became the reality.


Even Mother Nature got in on the act. The preceding days before the parade it had rained, but on parade day the sky was as blue as the ocean and there were only a couple clouds in the sky. Some how deep inside, I knew that up there in the clouds were Charles (Howard), Jim (Yellig), Bill (Strother) and even St Nicholas looking down with smiles on their faces.

As the parade ended, we rapped up the broadcast and headed back up to the convention center. As I walked, I listened to the comments of the people who had just seen this event. Needless to say, the comments reflected my feelings…it was just spectacular!

As I stated before, it was odd for me not being in this parade, but this time I was happy being the odd man out.
Visit Santa from Santa's Village Click Here .